Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Elements: Water

I'm doing a couple looks that have to do with "Elements". All of the looks will be done with eyeshadows, foundations, and simple makeup you should have laying around the house! No costume makeup for this one. It will consist of at least five tutorials, water, earth, fire, air, and metal. Do you have any ideas for other tutorials that should be under this series? Let me know!

This first tutorial will be for the element water. I used my ELF eye shadows, Mary Kay foundations, other foundation, eyelashes, lip gloss, and primer.

This was the finished look!





The only thing different about these looks are the lips. I added the blue lips but I didn't know how much I liked it so I also took pictures with more of a natural lip, I'll explain how I did both. I like both looks a lot and I feel like they give different feelings to the look. Which one do you like better?

On to the tutorial!

For the foundation, I kept it pretty natural and light. I chose a liquid foundation that was light in coverage but still my skin tone so my natural rosy-ness would show through. I wanted this because I think of light pinks and corals when I think of water, not just blues and greens. I then added a powder foundation over my skin that was slightly too light for my skin tone. I also used the liquid foundation to lighten my eyebrows, I wanted a dainty overall look and bold colors to show the softness of water and also the power of water. I primed my eyes and going back away from my eyes (where you can see I added the blue).


I then started with a light, almost sky, blue. I blended this color over my lid and all the way out to my hair line, as you can see in the picture. I put a very bright blue right on my lids and slightly blended it out. I took a medium blue with a tint of green in it and put it in my crease and blended this out with the lighter blue. I took these three colors and many other shades of blues and greens and layered and then added swirls to the sides of my face.
Here is a picture of the swirls: (the lighter blue was washed out by the light)


They almost remind me of veins, except some of them I added more of a spiral to them. To finish my eyes off, I added the medium blue below my eyes and a white blended in the inside corner of my eye. I also used my liquid eyeliner along my top line. I then added swirls with the eyeliner at the corner of my eye. I added fake eyelashes and my eyes were done!

Here is another picture where the lighting is better:



 One thing I would suggest, if you don't have such rosiness to your skin as I do, I would add blush. A very soft pink or coral, to the apples of your cheeks, then blend it out farther and thinner than you normally would. I didn't do this step because my face is just perpetually slightly red.

The last step is the lips. I primed my lips for only the blue lips. For the blue lips, I packed the bright blue eye shadow, that I put on my lids, on my lips while the primer was still a bit tacky so the eyeshadow would stick. I then added a clear gloss on top to seal in the color and make it shiny. For the natural lips, I just used a pink shimmer lip gloss.



And that's it! The key to doing this look is just to play with the colors and to blend! Also, don't be afraid to layer colors, it gives the look depth. I want to see your version of this look! Send me a picture on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment