Thursday, June 26, 2014

Make yourself into a Tim Burton Character!

I love Tim Burton movies and my friend mentioned wanting to make her own Tim Burton style movie so I got to thinking. A dangerous pastime, I know ;) Besides the beautiful, and most of the time scary, scenery Tim Burton has, the style of his characters are the most memorable. So I decided to try and make myself look like I was a Tim Burton movie character myself!



It was a lot of fun, and fairly simple, to create this look. There are many ways to go "Tim Burton" and I'll probably continue trying different looks based on his style but this one was a good start to get my brain churning. One of the hard things for me, as someone who likes to base looks on previous pictures, his most memorable characters are cartoons. I, however, wanted to do a more "natural" look for this go round so I created this all on my own!




The key to "Tim Burton style" is to make yourself gaunt and pale. I used a foundation that was two shades lighter than I actually am. Only use this where you would normally hightlight, such as your cheekbones, the tip of your chin, and forehead. Then it will be easier to darken the other parts of your skin. I then used browns to contour my face in an extreme way, mostly focusing around the eyes. Besides the eyes, I made sure that I contoured the hollows of my cheeks, the bridge of my nose, my jaw line, and my forehead. I also put liquid eyeliner all around my eyes to really bring attention to them.

I used a black eyeliner pencil to fill in my eyebrows. I exaggerated them and made my left one arch a bit more than my right eyebrow. I did this because most Tim Burton characters always seem to have an odd flaw such as this (Corpse Bride has one eyebrow that is higher than the other), it gives your character something different. For the lips, I used my normal red lip stain. The only difference is I exaggerated my bottom lip and pointed my cupid's bow. I then put black eyeshadow on the stain to darken the color.



This look is made for anyone to be able to do it! I only used foundation, eyeliner, eyeshadow, and lip stain (though regular lipstick would work just as well). These are things that can just be laying around the house or is easily found all year (no need to wait for Halloween to find cheap costume makeup)!

Good luck with your Tim Burton looks! Send me pictures of your version on my Facebook page :)

No comments:

Post a Comment