Thursday, August 15, 2013

Skyrim Birthday Cake

My brother's tenth birthday was coming up so I asked him what he wanted for his birthday cake. He said he wanted a dragon cake.... Well, I'm not the Ace of Cakes and I can't make a dragon out of cake but he said he would settle for a Skyrim themed cake. For those non-nerds, Skyrim is an AWESOME medieval action game made by Bethesda Game Studios.

Here are some pictures:




It was fun trying to think of ways to create a Skyrim cake and I thought a tower would be easy enough, much easier than a dragon. I didn't have much time the week of my brother's birthday so I cheated and bought Betty Crocker box cake. Three of them. I made two 9x13 sheet cakes and two 9" round cakes. I filled the cakes, between the layers, with lemon filling I made from the Wilton website. I made the simply named Lemon Cake Filling recipe. I liked this filling recipe but I must warn you that it is VERY lemony. I made a Basic Buttercream from Martha Stewart's website. I did not like this recipe at all. It was very difficult to work with (that's why the frosting is not smooth) and I wasn't a fan of the taste. It was very, very rich, even for a buttercream. To make the tower, I cut out cup size circles from my circle pan cakes. With the extra cake pieces, you can add frosting or pudding to it and it tastes so YUMMY! To help make the tower stand upright (though it did start to lean a bit), I shoved wooden kitchen stakes in the tower. The man on the tower and the dragon is from my brother's PlayMobile set. He was very happy with the outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment